1. Mellifluous – Another in the series of “words that actually sound like what they mean”.
2. Grok – It’s been around since 1961 or so when that guy wrote that book about that thing, but lately I hear it used byweb 2.0types to relay a deep knowledge of an issue or program. It’s a neat word, and I tried to actually use it in a sentance on someone but I ended up feeling like a complete tool the moment it came out of my mouth. Caveat utilitor here big time.
3. Ergo – Just say “therefore”, will ya? That’s what you mean anyway, before you tried to get all Latin on us. Ergo’s place in pop culture is safe now that it was used, not once but twice, in the Matrix scene where Colonel Sanders tries to explain to Neo that he is the keymaster of a world that resembles a Berzerk video game maze run by Gozer The Gozerian – or something like that.
5. Tie – Irregardless / Acoustical – Bands do NOT have “acoustical performances”, they “perform acoustic”. Irregardless is the “bastard multi-species human-fly monster crying ‘kill me’” hybrid of irrespective and regardless. If you say either of these words out loud 3 times while looking into a mirror, Noah Webster will appear and shoot you in the face with a cross bow.
“A man should have a blade and a light available to him at all times.” To that end, every place that you sit, work, sleep, drive, or go, you should have a flashlight within arm’s reach.
I have a lot of flashlights. At least 16 and counting, because, well, I sit, work, sleep, drive, or go in a lot of different places. I use #4 and/or #2 every single night when I walk the dog. #16 is on my keychain and can kick out 90 lumens (which means my keychain beats most people’s primary flashlight). #12 is on my truck’s visor. #11 doesn’t get a lot of real use, because, well, it’s a fireman’s “Search & Rescue” model and can illuminate a whole tree from more than a mile away or even turn off a street light after dark – there just aren’t many times that I need to do either of those.
I’ve actually heard the term “flashaholic” on a Discovery Channel special on the making of flashlights. I prefer “flashlight fetish”. Fetish derived from Latin (facticius, “artificial” and facere “to make”) and defined as an object believed to have powers, or in particular a man-made object that has powers over others – so it’s not what you were thinking, perv. But I suppose there’s a video of that out there in the tubes somewhere…
- Surefire D3 Defender
- Surefire 9P, w/ a #3
- KL3 Conversion LED head
- Surefire G2 Nitrolon
- Coast 3-in-1 Write Light
- Petzl Zipka
- Inova X5 (1st generation)
- Pelican 3600 “Little Ed”
- Mini Maglite 2 Cell AA (red) w/ LED Conversion head
- Battery spares carrier
- SR-2000 500,000 Candle Power Search Light
- Eternalight 4x “EliteXRay”
- Streamlight Scorpion
- Photon Micro Light 1
- Pelican 2600
- Fenix P1
- Fenix E1
For individual photos – go to my Flickr >> http://www.flickr.com/gp/51935165@N00/539H0W
Nine knives owned by Jay Hughen
L-R Top Row:
1. Benchmade 553SBK Griptilian Tanto
2. Buck Metro Knife (burnt orange)
3. Spyderco Delica II Combo Edge
L-R Middle Row:
4. Spyderco Bob Lum “Chinese Folder”
5. Victorinox “Swiss Tool”
6. Cabela’s Mini Multi-Tool
L-R Bottom Row:
7. Spyderco Endura 4
8. Swiss Tech “Utili-key”
9. Columbia River K.I.S.S. knife)
An expert in flashlight-ology and wise man named Max Tolkoff recently told me that “you can never have enough knives”. Never mind that me and said wise man were hyperventilating with glee having just walked through the front door of Cabela’s, a hunting supply store as big as 5 football fields. He was right; you know it and I know it. So, for your amusement and my own obsessive fun, I document for all to see – Jay’s Knives. Knife #3 is “the knife that saved Terry Dry’s wedding”. I don’t have many stories that are of the calibre worthy of repetition for the rest of my natural life, but that story makes the cut (snicker).
I wear #1, the Griptillian Tanto (w/ a combo edge), just about every day now. Good action on those Benchmades. #8, the Utili-key, is on my keychain too. So I suppose that means that everywhere I go, I have not one but two knives on my person. It should also be pointed out that I’ve never cleaned a fish or done anything particularly macho with my blades… It’s usually cutting stray strings or those motherfucking blister packs.
By the way, the hunting supply store was so big that it had it’s own food court… not a cafeteria, a food COURT.
Coming Soon – “You Can Never Have Enough… FLASHLIGHTS”!